SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
I have a 2006 MCoupe and my wife drives a 2003 S2000. We have had both cars for a while but not since new. The S2000 is a Honda and has required nothing more than oil changes and a set of brake pads at around 72k miles and a couple sets of tires. I could have put another 20k on the pads but I already had the new ones so I put them on. I figure it is the last set of pads the car will need while we own it.

The MCoupe has cost more to maintain and currently has an airbag light on due to a problem with the slip ring in the steering wheel and has also developed a very slight oil leak. Doesn't leak enough to have to add any between changes, but enough to smell it in the garage after it has been parked for a few minutes.

That said, I still like the MCoupe better due to the way it drives and it is more powerful. Plus the M is a little bigger and at 6'2" I fit in the S2000 but after a few miles I start feeling claustrophobic without the top down.

The BMW is going to be a little more expensive to buy parts for if you need them. It probably costs more to get it worked on if you take it to a dealer as well. So far I have done all of our maintenance because I just do not trust the dealer and haven't found any good local independent shops. But we have 2 other vehicles to drive so it isn't a problem if one of the cars is on jackstands for a few weeks.

The price sounds good, I paid 25k for mine a little over a year ago and it had more miles, but also had about 15k in mods on it.
Thanks for the great feedback! I wasn't expecting someone with both a Z4 M and an S2000 to respond, let alone two people, but I guess if one is into roadsters that there were only three players in the game at that time in this price range.

My S2000 has not been without it's repair costs. The transmission has been rebuilt twice, once under warranty with the "stacking clearance" issue, and another on my own dime a couple of years ago, although that's the only issue I've had. I autocrossed and tracked it pretty heavily for about 3-4 years starting within a year after I got it. Even with that I think that I'm only on the third set of pads at 90,000 miles.

I got the VIN from the owner and it looks like the first owner had a 24 month lease beginning June 2006. I haven't confirmed this yet, but it looks like the second and current owner probably bought it as a CPO which means that the CPO warranty expired last month. The original owner put on 12,000 mi/yr on it but the current owner has only driven about 9300 mi./yr. I plan on having a PPI done. We've got plenty of independents here in San Diego and I can think of at least six off the top of my head.

As far as size, I'm 5'9" 170 pounds so the S2000 fits me like a glove! I've never felt cramped in that car.

I'm looking forward to test driving the Z4. With almost 40% more HP and more than double the torque, even with the additional weight, but with a significantly lower HP/weight ratio, it's got to feel more powerful, especially under 6,000 RPM.

Appreciate 0