Thread: Delete TPMS
View Single Post
      08-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i

Seems to me that the system was flawed by design to begin with. I think my '07 SI coupe calls for 33psi in the front and 39psi in the rear. What's the threshold for the receiving unit?? Is it set for an average of the two at 36psi with an allowance of 4psi (+/-) outside of that or something else?? If so, the 4psi needed to trip the warning is actually only 1psi if either front or rear deviates by just that little amount of pressure. If the system were set up per wheel, with each sensor having its own specific set of parameters and transmission frequency, I could see the functional range being more lenient. I went to 36psi in all four tires, reset the sensor, and noticed that it worked for a while. I think I have a bad sensor now though because I randomly get the light regardless of pressure. The part that drives me mental is the fact that they're run flats and you can't tell they're significantly low unless they have zero pressure and the sidewall deflects a little or you can feel some squishiness that isn't normal. I found that out when I picked up a nail on the right rear. That has me paranoid now every time that wretched little yellow tire starts flashing. It drives me crazy to have to constantly break out the dial gauge every time just to be sure. Either way, these noisy run flats are on their last leg. Regular tires and one of my front tires on the stock wheel as a spare after i go with aftermarket wheels is gonna be the new rule when I go on trips from now on. This is the way it's gonna be when these rft's finally give up the ghost.
Appreciate 0