View Single Post
      06-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

O2 Sensor Relocation

Once I had completed the header installation, it was time to take care of the mid-pipe. I had two options:
1. I could order the OEM mid pipe new for approximately $2K
2. I could modify my existing mid pipe.

I priced out option number 2, and figured out that it would run me $300.00. The choice was easy when comparing cost. I contacted www.goodspeedperformance.com. Good Speed was recommended to me by a reputable post member for their immaculate work. I needed them to weld 90 degree O2 bungs behind the cats in the same location as the Euro mid pipe. They took care of this the same day, and the work was very good.
If you look at the photos, you will see that the bungs were welded closer to the cats than on the euro application. This was done because when Good Speed removed the heat shield, there were two flat spots on the angled portion of the pipe. According to the welder, the flat spots were a typical marker for the welding location of O2 bungs. I was informed that it is also better for the O2 sensors to be closer to the cats, and assured that if there was an issue it could be changed. I was uneasy about this because I was sure there was a reason BMW installed them on the flat portion of the pipe with 90 degree bungs instead of on the angled portion of the pipe with 45 degree bungs. As for the flat spots mention, that did make sense to me. These cats are probably used in other cars, and there are probably O2 bungs welded to these locations. So, I gave it a shot.

Now that the mid-pipe was done, I needed to extend the O2 sensors and the EGT. I took the advice of a fellow member and made extensions with one end that would plug into the original end of the O2 sensor in its new location, and the other end into the original location under the engine cover. The reason for this is future replacement of O2 sensors. It would have been easier to just extend the wire between the O2 sensor and its plug, but then I would have to do this the next time I replace the O2 sensors. By creating an extension between the original plugs, I can by the factory O2 sensor and just plug it in.

Once I put everything back together and the engine codes were cleared, victory was mine!

No codes!

There are only two things I would have done differently:

1. I would have not been such a cheap skate, and I would have purchased different color wires. (labeling them was a pain)

2. I would have made sure the welder understood the exact location of the O2 bungs and provided better photos. (It was not very clear in the drawing I provided)
Attached Images

Last edited by crfine88; 07-07-2010 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0