fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Shift Lights

4000rpm was somewhat arbitrary, but for track driving you typically like to stay much higher in the powerband of your particular engine. (all you need to do is drive down the hwy in 4th gear to see how much more power, and hence better acceleration you get higher in the rev band)

If I'm on track and I don't see any lights on, then I know that I am too high of a gear. More Importantly though, I like to know how many revs I have left before I have to shift, as it can be difficult to "hear" where you are with both with the driver side window down, and with a helmet on. Looking down at the tach would be great but for example at 120mph on a front straight means that you are covering 176 ft/sec, and a lot can happen in 176 ft.

As for programming the ECU, you may have to with other units, but this one you don't. There are two buttons on the front that you push to calibrate/program it for your application. It honestly took about 5 min or so, after I had all the wiring done to get it working properly.
Appreciate 0