03-23-2024, 12:17 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
Good article from Hagerty..."BMW’s First Z4 Coupe Is an Affordable Alternative to a New Supra"...

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...o-a-new-supra/
Thanks for posting the article.

I still find it amusing the hate (in the comments section) for the non-M's electric steering. I've never driven the Z4M with its hydraulic steering, but I did have an E46 330i Cabrio for a few years along with my coveted 3.0si Coupe. Sure, the 330i was not an E46 M3 to compare to the Z3M, but basically my two non-M cars having the same front end and I really could not tell much of a difference between the electric column in the Z4 vs. the hydraulic rack in the Cabrio (both on Michelin AS4's). The Z4's electric steering is not a bad setup. In fact, when I first test drove the Coupe before buying it (from CarMax) I did not realize it was electric. I didn't discover the steering was electric until I got my car home and started checking fluid levels and couldn't find the power steering reservoir. I had to go check realoem.com to verify.

And by late 2014 when I bought the Z4, I'd been driving a BMW 3-series for 32 years, so it's not like I was not familiar with 3-series steering.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0