v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Have you installed these?
Can they be done externally or do I have to get to the sensor inside?
haha! so... i have installed them... and then uninstalled them on my 313's. they are the "correct" stems for the stock 335is. what BMW won't tell you though is that stem number won't come with the seal ring needed to space the nut out from the nut seat on the wheel. in other words... the minimum gap on the shorty stem is still larger than the thickness of the style 313 wheel at the nut seat. i just used my old stems which looked ok; they didn't protrude past the rim lip. honestly though, from comparing the two, any crush ring with the appropriate inner and outer diameter would have worked to space it. hell, even an oil drain plug washer probably would work if you didn't mind the copper ring maybe showing through. not only that, the ring may not be required for your wheels, due to a larger seat thickness. also note: the inner diameter of the old stem is smaller than the outer diameter of the shorty stem, meaning the old crush ring is not useable with the new stem. sorry for not ellaborating in my first post about this possible issue for you. don't hurt me. since the stems are so cheap, i suggest heading to a parts store after you get them and buy (or try at the counter if they'll let you) a few different sizes of washers. do NOT get steel washers. you'll regret it if you do. first choice is aluminum, then copper.

you absolutely will have to break the tire down to mount TPM stems. the stems are mounted to the sensor first, slid through the stem hole in the wheel, and tightened with the nut on the outside of the wheel. THEN the tire goes back on and pressures are set. essentially you'll be paying a shop to mount and balance 4 tires. yes, you will have to rebalance the tires because they will not be remounted in the exact same position they were at prior to breaking them down.

get some pics posted soon, we want to see what you installed!