07-28-2015, 01:12 AM   #2
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchmedia View Post
I've been having troubles trying to communicate with my ECU despite my best efforts and many attempts. Here are my symptons:

1. I have a k+dcan cable and an NCSExpert setup (which has all been tested and verified by people much more in-the-know than me) which is also not able to read the ECU properly. It's giving data-transmission errors and faulty VIN errors, etc.

2. I have the enthusiast Bavarian Technic kit. Does not automatically identify car, and also is not giving me any proper data when I try to data log.

If I had just one or the other happening to me I wouldn't be so nervous, but combined I'm wondering if there's is something locked down, or wrong with my ECU?

I've also contact VF who supplied my supercharger tune, and they confirmed that their tune doesn't lock down any communication with the ECU.

So --- has anyone else had a similar experience, or can you suggest anything I should look for, test for?

Thanks.
Couple of things to consider:
  • If NCS Expert is giving you error codes when attempting to read from the car, a quick search of that error code might help.
  • Have you tried Revtor's profile for NCS Expert? It will establish communication with your car very effectively.
  • Is your car in ACC mode when you attempt to read from it?
  • Is your cable configured to the correct COM port and speed?
  • Is your cable compatible with your car? I bought one online and it didn't work until I bridged two of the pins with solder.

The software can be quite stubborn to get working. I hope you find this helpful.