View Single Post
      11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandobot View Post
To begin, I'm 23 years of age, never had any back injuries or pains beforeS i've owned numerous cars including a Mini Cooper S, Porsche Cayman S, E90 3 series, E46 M3, z4 3.0 and a few Hondas, but none of them has given me lower back pains like the z4m does.

I've tried a few different seat positions but can't seem to make the back pains go away. They come fairly quick, within 15-20 minute drives.

How do you position your seat for comfortable driving?
I am 61 and an orthopedic once told me that he had never seen a back as bad as mine. I don't have any trouble in my M and have routinely driven 6-7 hours with only one stop in the middle.

I found that one of the most important things is to make sure you are completely in the seat with your butt and lower back solidly against the seat back. You have to stay there as well. On long trips I have to rearrange and make sure I am sitting that way. Helps to rock the seat back a bit to make sure that the place where the seat back joins the seat bottom is lowest (gravity will help keep ou in place).

As someone said earlier you should not have to stretch your leg to push the clutch all the way to the floor. Be careful that you don't extend the front cushion to far as this can cause pressure on the back of your knees when shifting.
Appreciate 0