View Single Post
      03-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
By "reversed" I meant the location of the sensors and not necessarily the polarity. I'm not a EE either, nor do I claim to be an expert. However, I do want to voice my concerns so some of the more experienced forum members can chime in and correct or agree with me.

I think a lot can be learned by the type of harness connected to the seat. If two or three pins are present, it's more likely that the seat senses an overall weight of the passenger and the computer DOESN'T determine the position of the occupant (analog system wired in series, resistance changes with weight, and no microcontroller sending digital signals via a single wire unless one is visible in the diagram). If many pins are present, the sensors are more than likely wired in parallel... which would require further investigation.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. If it works out you will have saved me several hundred dollars. An SA told me the computer determines the occupant's seating position based on weight distribution, so take that for what it's worth. But, as ignorant as some SA's are with our cars, it's still a concern that should be looked into. I'd say press on without looking back if a potential safety issue wasn't involved.
Roger that and thanks for the information.

There are 3 wires leading from the mat to the control box and 3 wires leading from the control box to the under-the-seat harness. The control box, or whatever it is, is used in cars like the E34 5er and even the E81 8er which I doubt had airbags that adapted to a person's location in the seat. So by deductive logic, because the unit was used in cars dating back to the late 80s we can assume that the control box isn't involved in any sort of determination of where a passenger is located in the seat.