StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasha View Post
Help me out of the Dark Ages:
1) What is an "SES" and why would it constitute a dire emergency? ...and if dire, why wouldn't everyone have a Peake in an on-board toolkit?
SES = "Service Engine Soon"
Wasn't a dire emergency, but I was at least 50 miles from nowhere and it was about 115° F. Was nice to know what the codes were.

Quote:
2) What else will the Peake do? The idea that it seems to not be laptop dependent does have its appeal -- especially if carried as an emergency tool.
Just a scan/reset tool. Tiny and quick. Nice to keep in the trunk.
Unlike most "generic" tools, it reads the zillion BMW specific codes.
I sometimes drive 7-8 hours in a day, much of it in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, so I like to know what's up if the SES light comes on.

Quote:
3) Dark Ages help: "Launch" app does what?? I checked out he PLX Kiwi 2 on Amazon. Am I correct that this is essentially a dyno??! It gives you real time data on all parameters that I could think of -- "...It can efficiently monitor a vehicle's MPG, data log engine parameters, read/reset engine trouble codes and monitor real time engine performance. Simply connect your Smartphone to this tool through a Wi-Fi connection, and launch the compatible application of your choice to obtain vital information about your vehicle...."
And per an eBay ad: "...wideband air/fuel ratio, exhaust gas temperature, vacuum/boost, air intake temperature, fluid pressure and fluid temperature...."

Does BMW block any of these apps' functions?
Have you tried one out yet, or know of someone who is using Launch?
Thanks.
"Launch" is the company that makes the CReader that thelinux was posting about. I think they "get it" because they have a product that may be able to compete on price/performance with iPhone/Android apps. Outfits like Actron are going to lose all their market share trying to sell $250 black and white scanners with no graphing or logging.

Last edited by StickMon; 03-16-2013 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0