02-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
Wow, that's a great DIY man.
Thank You for the help to the community!
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
heh, thats exactly as far as I got with my install today (part 2)
Nice! DIY complete now. Sorry for the delay; This tool way longer than I had anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
You da bomb. I <3's chris.

edit. Add the hardware list to the top too
Thanks
Hardware added (along with a ton of other info/photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARISIN View Post
Thanks for this article. Great write up and your attention to detail is outstanding.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
Great write-up! Thanks for all of the details! Excellent work and documentation!
no problem, check it out now that it's complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
If one were to ever remove the splitter in order to resell vehicle, how obvious will the holes be in the bumper? I can see using the bolts to fill the holes but can they be seen by the naked eye while looking at the car on a level plane? Mostly worried about the outer bolts on the outside front edge and the front leading edge of the fangs. This is my biggest worry if I ever remove the splitter. Don't want to kill resale value if I install.
No issue going back to stock unless you elect to do Part IV of the install, then you would need to buy a new lower engine cover for $157 to bring the car back to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Chris,

A question:

How did you ensure that the middle of the splitter fit flat against the plastic undertray and not start to ride down the hump?

Edit: disregard.
Let me know if any other questions come up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
Excellent DIY Chris! Really appreciate how much time and effort you put into these kind of things.

It just occurred to me that I may as well just lift the cover off my car, remove my bumper and install my lip over the cold months so she is ready to go by spring...

One thing though, I've never removed the front bumper off of our cars, is it hard, easy? Anything i should look out for or be careful about?
Thanks man,
I added a ton of info including the BMW TIS bumper removal instructions in part I

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy View Post
great start! thanks for all the hard work!
Thank you,
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I don't remember the size of the torx, since I had access to my shop's tools and was sure they had the socket/bit I needed

If it were up to me, I'd just buy all-new fender liner push-pin tabs because they're a pain to remove sometimes and it's quicker to just yank them out, possibly destroying them. The bumper removal DIY can be found here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79994

The part that I'm referring to is step 1 in the DIY. These push-pin tabs are annoying. And so are the bumper's side mounts.

Oh, and I forgot the few 8mm hex screws at the bottom which also serve to hold the bumper in place a bit.
Thanks for all your help, I have been swamped and I appreciate you helping out witht the early installs.

The DIY is complete now. Hardware, parts, & installation have all been updated.

For the fender liners I ended up using a re-usable plastic fastener from BMW. I also had a hard time with the original plastic rivets

Thanks again