View Single Post
      06-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Driftaholic
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Z4 Roadster Stock Roll Bar and the use of a Harness

Greetings,

I use my Z4 Roadster for DE, Autocross, and Drift events. Would you please share with me what you know regarding the stock Roll Bar and how much protection it provides in case of a roll over? With my helmet on, I am ¼” below the edge of the bar.

My Z4 has leather seats. I use my knees to support my body while cornering. By the end of a session, both knees ache. I am considering a harness and I have the following questions:

1- My understanding is that using a harness without a roll cage is dangerous. This is because stock seatbelts are designed to allow the body to submarine in case of a roll over. With the harness, the body is not going anywhere; therefore, you need the roll cage to ensure that your head does not get injured. Is my understanding correct? Does it apply to the Z4 with extendable roll bars?

2-If the harness is possible, is there a harness bar for the Z4 Roadster? If not, are there good mounting points?

I know a full cage is the correct solution, however, I am not ready for one yet as my Z4 is still mainly a street car.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0