01-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Polling Interest - Dynavin aftermarket navigation/etc unit

Hey all,

This is in no way anything official. I am starting this thread as a feeler for how many Z4 owners might be interested in an aftermarket NAV unit for the cars in an effort to see if we could approach Dynavin about adapting one of their platforms into a package for the E85/6.

Dynavin is a foriegn company that has been making OE *like* NAV units for a few different BMW platforms, along with Audi, VW, etc.

The units are funtional, cost effective but may not be the best unit on the market. The real thing that makes them work in how they are intergrated and their appeal of looking OE and not cheap aftermarket.

I tried two different versions on my old E46 and was very happy with the product, for the price. The first one I bough is almost two years old and a local E46 owner is still using it. The second sold with the car and the owner is still using it without problems.

So, moving on to examples and such.

Here is the unit for the 1 Series. I like how it is worked into the center vents, since that is easy to undo and wouldn't involve cutting the dash.

Here is one from the X3, which I think is nice since it can be folded down, but it would naturally require one that doesn't have factory NAV to cut a hole in the dash...which I think would shy away too many folks.

To give a general idea of features they are able to provide, prices, etc, consult the BEST place to get them for their currently offered platforms, Jeff at Dynavin Solutions (genuinely the only place I'd purchase in the states).

http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavinsolutions/

They have Window based units, Andriod units, they are customizable and all...really fun units for those who appreciate an easy install, an OE like visual approach and a cost effective unit (as prices are typically $700-$800 versus thousands and many hours for the OE NAV install).

For those wanting the best of the best, then I'll be the first to tell you these are probably not going to be the answer for you.

So, the question of the thread is, would folks here be interested in a unit like those examples shown? I've already put in an email to Jeff to ask his thoughts on the matter.

Please comment on what style you prefer, anything you'd like to see in a unit and if you'd potentially be interested in such a unit if we can talk them into producing something.

Appreciate 0