2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Suspension and Braking
1. Bavarian Autosport HD FCABs
2. Stoptech Sport Pads and Rotors
3. Motul 600
4. Koni Externally Adjustable Shocks F/R

1. Bavarian Autosport HD FCABs
This was one of my first DIY mods. At 108k miles, the car felt a little loose and due for a refresh, especially when compounded with sticky steering and original shocks. I chose to address the front control arm bushings (FCABs) first.

FCABs are a breeze. Jack up the car and remove the aluminum cover under the car. Use a gear puller to get the old FCABs off and some Dawn soap to lube up the new ones as you slide them on. Do NOT use an air chisel. I replaced mine with the Bavauto heavy duty bushings at 108k miles. The difference in handling was night and day.

Another post on FCAB replacement.

2. Stoptech Sport Pads and Rotors
My stock pads and rotors lasted a LONG time... as in, over 100k miles. While a BBK would be nice, I don't have the need for it as I've never overheated the stock brakes. I like the bias of the stock setup. After reading a few of Stoptech's technical articles, I was convinced that they knew more than just how to build quality components. They understood how a braking system affects the entire car. And since they offered direct replacement pads and rotors, I gave them a shot.

My rear pads weren't included in my order from the vendor, and I didn't realize this until I was already at the shop having the pads and rotors installed. Because the rears had a little life left, I am still on OEM rear pads.

I've noticed no new noises with the Stoptech setup. Braking feels good, with the right amount of bite for daily driving. The brakes are less grabby and require more pedal effort to stop quickly as compared to the OEM Z4M setup. No complaints, and I'd do this mod again.

3. Motul 600
I flushed the brake fluid when I did my Stoptech pad and rotor swap. I've had the brake pedal go to the floor on a spirited run in the Z4M once, so I decided to use uprated fluid with this flush. I've had no issues with the fluid overheating, though my non-M hasn't seen a race track.

4. Koni Externally Adjustable Shocks F/R

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo

Last edited by pokeybritches; 10-19-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0