02-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #32
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBitch View Post
I'm more concerned with the "GO" thing... I'd like my car to look nice but not flashy.. just fast.
Not a lot more go to be had on the Z4M. In my opinion, there are only two routes to take: diff swap or forced induction.

A differential swap will run you $2000-$3000 and you can pick 3.91 or 4.10 gear ratios. This is the best bang for the buck mod in terms of performance. Intakes and exhaust mods will run you about the same price and you'll need a dyno to tell you where the money went; the diff swap you'll feel the next time you step on the gas pedal. The 3.91 adds grunt in the first 4 gears, while 5th and 6th leave some fuel economy on the table. The 4.10 means manic acceleration is only an ankle-flex away in every gear, but fuel economy is a joke and your wallet won't be the one laughing.

Forced induction kits are in the pipeline, but a ways off. They'll also be much more expensive - maybe triple the diff swap. The HPF turbo kit for the E46 M3 is $16,000, so expect a comparable price if they ever get around to the Z4M.

Other elements of the Go curriculum include weight reduction (carbon fiber panels, seat swaps and lighter wheels), driver training (track days, performance driving schools), and brake/suspension tuning (bigger brakes, coilover suspension, short shift kits, etc).
Appreciate 0