View Single Post
      03-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
For me, a car has to have heart. Its that kind of feeling you only get with your special lady. Indescribable. I think, for you, that might be the sort of quandary you are dealing with. The cayman S seems to hit all of the obvious points but is missing that one crucial aspect. That heart. At least thats what it seems like you are saying.

I don't think that heart is necessarily all that attainable anymore with newer cars. Maybe that's why the biggest car romances seem to be with the very old 911s? Ive never driven a cayman, so i cant comment, but it seems to me like that might be the best option for what you are after. It will be a compromise though.

Somewhere, there is a video of Chris Harris saying that the e46 m3 is the last best sports car (or something along those lines). I think he would have said that the z4m was if he had a reminder, but that's a different story.

The point of all of this text is this, I dont think you are going to find a car that marks all of the boxes, so at the end of the day its about the compromises you are willing to make. If i was in your situation i would probably be looking at it the same way. I say buy the Cayman or wait just a bit longer to find something that might be a little closer to what the all around package looks like to you.
You pretty much nailed it. The Z4 coupe has an intangible "je ne sais quoi" that the cayman lacks for me. But otherwise it's an incredible car. I would wait for something that marks all the boxes but I don't see anything on the horizon that promises that possiblity. The next BMW Z4 will be a 2016 model, and I am anxious to see what they do there, but in the meantime the cayman seems to be the closest I can come to marking all the boxes.
Appreciate 0