Thread: Noob Questions
View Single Post
      06-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Noob Questions

Hi guys - I don't have easy access to a lift. I just took a few photographs of each of the pads to see if you guys can use your expertise to answer a few questions.

This is what the OEM pads looks like after a 2 day track session at Pocono Raceway (SE Option 3). I squeezed in 120 laps in 2 days and only felt serious brake fade three times (same corner). The car is daily driven 50 miles and AutoX'd ~2 times a month. Brake Fluid: MOTUL 600.

After the track event, there has been significant pedal play (and the car goes to ABS very very quickly under heavy braking). Thought is that there is air in the brake system. The brakes feel very sketchy.

I am going in for a Motul 600 brake fluid flush this Thursday. Next track event is at Pocono Raceway on July 9th (MPACT).

Ferodo DS2500 has been suggested to me by a few local sources. I am considering doing Stainless Steel lines as well (with the brake flush).

Questions:
1) How do my brake pads look?
2) Do they need to be replaced based on wear and tear? (assuming no track driving)
3) Are the DS2500 recommended for my type of use (occasional track, daily driving, AutoX)?
4) Is it normal for the brake pad contact surface to be so uneven?
5) How do the rotors look?
6) Should I do a Stainless Steel line upgrade while the car is in for a brake flush?
7) Does taking photographs of the pad work? Is it enough to draw a few conclusions?

Thanks all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0