Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Here is my reasoning on 235/265.

You can fit 245/275 on OEM wheels, but you're extending the limit of the wheel at that point. When you get to that size, the tire can actually shimmy back and forth on the wheel, reducing feel and increasing slip angle (which is bad if you want max grip).
^This. I thought I really liked the PSS in 245/275 on the stock wheels. And they're great in this size for normal everyday driving. Stop well, comfortable, and seem to have lots of grip.

But then I went out for some spirited driving on some back roads. Wow, no confidence, shimmy, etc. I should have listened to Kgolf. I think The Hack mentioned "imagine how good they'd be on properly sized wheels?" regarding this at one point. And yes, the tires were well broken in and had about 1K miles on them.

This is why I have a new set of Apex 18 x 9s and 18 x 10s in my garage and the tires are going on them next week. 235/265 on stock wheels? Great! A bit lower profile, and the ride is therefore a harsher, but the handling is superior if you take the car to the track or canyon carve.
Appreciate 0