View Single Post
      10-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
usurp
Private
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 Roadster - 3.0i

I want to cry!! (SMG problem)

so 2 weeks ago while driving on the highway my Z4 made a beep and shifted to N even though the car's SMG was set on D. I shifted car back to N and back to D but nothing. I parked the car on the side, shut if off and turned it back on, the car was able to shift to D again. I then drove maybe 10 meters when the same thign happened again, car shifted to N. Turned off and on car and everything worked fine and that was last time it happened.

Last week I took car to dealership for full service. Today I went back and it turns out my car needs around $4000 worth of parts replaced (parts not including labor). Check the list below

Prices are in Kuwaiti Dinar. 1KD = $3.4

So i was like thats alot, $4000 and add to that maybe 1500-2000$ labor... that whole car isn't worth much more than that. Anyway while flipping through the diagnostic reports I noticed a few pages where the system had mentioned there was a fault in the SMG hydraulic pump and it needed to be replaced. So I asked the dealer employee about it and he made a phonecall and told me that they had forgot to add that to the list of parts. Whats the cost? KD1,300 which is around $4,500!! Thats for the one part and not including labor which is around $700.

So I decided to just leave, figured I would fix the problems when they broke down since I wasn't willing to spend $10,000 to fix stuff that seems to be working fine.

I leave the dealer and I'm heading to my office when I get stuck in traffic. From idle I press the gas and the car shivered and vibrated. That hadn't happened before but I figured I might have had the gear in 3 or something. A few moments later same thing happened and this time car shifted to N again. I shut off car, turned it back on and kept the SMG on manual and drove it back to the office. In manual I didn't run into any problem but I did feel the RPM's where acting or sounding a bit weird when shifting.

Now I need to take the car back to the dealer but don't think they might know what the issue is. I feel with them they just replace everything since its the easiest thing to do.... any advice?