View Single Post
      08-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoexodus View Post
Yeah, if I was in a coupe, I would probably just take that route as well, but with a roadster, the cop would have to be trying not to see it. While I have you, perhaps you could give me some data on a hypothesis that I have: since detector use is illegal in Virgina, the police aren't working as much to game the detectors as they would in other areas. By this I mean, more reliant on laser or instant on, hiding in more frequency saturated areas like the shopping centers, etc in order to hide their radar. Any experience that causes you to lean one way or another?
Background: I used to live in NJ where everyone I know has a RD and I regularly travel to PA where to my knowledge police can't use lidar.

I've been hit with everything in VA and enforcement tactics don't appear to be any lazier than all the other places that I drive. I've been hit with lidar from state troopers (and possible local). I've had cops use instant-on regularly. In Richmond in the area I commute there are also at least 2 motorcycle cops (1 Harley and 1 BMW). The cops also enjoy cruising in the fast lane and picking people off. I've seen cops hiding on entrance ramps (radar dark) so that they aren't visible until you pass them and they hit you from behind.
Another thing that I have noticed is that in NJ, I could pretty safely ignore anything that wasn't Ka or K band in a really unexpected area. In VA I've gotten alerts from all bands near cops. I assume the V1 has the ability to give you multiple radar sources also, so it's just something you have to look out for. Around Richmond, the only techniques that I haven't seen in use that are used other places are lidar from bridges/overpasses and VASCAR. That being said, on 64 I regularly get clocked at 80 where the speed limit is 55-70 and I've never been pulled. I don't have a lot of experience driving in NoVA other than on 95. When I go to state college I take 17 and cut over towards 66 to 81. I got a laser ticket in the eastern shore where they regularly change the speed limit up and down on the same road. Police just wait where the speed limit changes. Enforcement near the NC border is very strict in my experience on both 95 or 85 with a lot of speed cops.

In summary: In my experience, police are not lazier with using radar just because they don't expect people to have RD's. I'd like to hear other people's inputs on this too in case their experience differs.
Appreciate 0