View Single Post
      08-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
neoexodus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E93

Request: V1 Stealth Install Ideas

I do enjoy a good theoretical exercise, so I would appreciate your thoughts on a truly stealth installation of a V1. Two problems with getting a detector are that I have the roadster (which I love), but there's not a ton of places to hide something in it, and that detectors are not legal for use in Virginia (possession is legal, I believe). So I decided that we should play the "if" game: if I was going to buy a V1, where would I hide it?

I saw that in the 5 series (?) that they have an area in the headliner that could be used to store the V1, which got me wondering about what may be underneath the interior lights panel; just by eyeballing it, if it's not filled, it would likely be large enough to hold the detector. You'll lose laser detection, but once you've detected laser, it's most often too late.

The other idea would be between the seats above the waterfall storage; I'd need to build something for it to live in if I was to go for this area. The greatest difficulty here would be that it would have to look like it is not out of place, and you might also run into a reduction of visibility out the rear view mirror.

I have seen the videos for the StealthOne product at their site (http://www.stealthone.biz/), and I think that would probably be fine for my purposes. Anyone have other ideas / experience with this product to say otherwise?

One last thing, I am generally aware of hearing about radar detector detectors, and that awareness seemed to focus on that some of the radar detectors broadcast a signal which can be received. My understanding is also that this is not an issue with the V1's; can anyone confirm?

So there it is; any ideas or comments are welcome. Also, if you have already done your own stealth setup, give us an idea of how. TIA all!
Appreciate 0