View Single Post
      07-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #60
jeffsnavely
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 3.0si Coupe auto

I also had a lot of trouble with this, cracked windshield

About 6 inches of the top strip near the A pillar was very hard to pull out so I expected it to be hard to put the new one in. I could not get the new seal to seat in this area even with taps from a rubber mallet on a wood piece, standing on the car and pushing straight down etc. I knew the windshield would have to be removed and I eventually cracked it from aggressive pounding.
The glass replacement guys just installed the new seal on the glass before putting in the car. I paid out of pocket and was only $335 for a new windshield installed (with rain sensor).

I did provide a new seal which I highly recommend buying at the dealer vs mail order -- I ordered one from FCP Euro and it cane torn at one of the corners. They sent me a replacement which was in way worse shape - crammed in a box not big enough so both corners were torn and the center was bent in a U to fit in the box making lots of lumpy areas along the top edge of the seal. I returned for a refund and bought at the dealer.
I'm in the DC area and Passport BMW quoted me $44 but was out of stock. Alexandria BMW matched the price (first said $72!) when I mentioned Passport. They actually run me up at about $41 so was about the same price as the mail order one anyway with shipping.
This part damages easily so save yourself the risk and buy from the dealer - be sure to inspect it before buying -- look at the side edges about an inch down from the top windshield header area (the vertical side strips) - there's a spot that can tear easily if the side rails are bent in for storage.
Appreciate 1
XMetal1134.50