View Single Post
      08-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
AustinMsport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

Would you buy a Z4 with 180K?

Hey guys looking for some input on an 06 Z4 roadster 3.0si automatic that I'm thinking about buying. I'm semi-serious about this. It has 180K miles Local dealer down the street has had it for quite a while. I think they were asking 8K a while ago but it now just says 'call' on their website. I would be majorly low balling on this one.

I can turn a wrench and I'm no stranger to the N52 or BMWs. I've owned several N52s and feel confident in fixing their most common issues (tensioners, oil leaks, water pump, etc). However, I've never owned anything close to having 180K miles on it. I know that 6sp auto is pretty solid from the 328s I've had but 180K! Ugh. Autos don't typically last that long. My theory is if I could get it cheap enough (3-4K??) and nothing went wrong then I could have a fun convertible to putt around in. I would basically maintain it as cheap as possible (i.e no mods) and just enjoy it.

I finally stopped by and looked at it in person today. It's definitely rough around the edges. Needs a good cleaning inside and out. Touch up paint in places. One of the side BMW emblems is gone. I wouldn't go as far as "ragged" but its on its way. Mechanically who knows at this point. I haven't talked with them. I know at that mileage it needs everything....all fluids, shocks, etc. I would be dusting off my ECS Tuning account for sure.

I know little about the E85 (I'm an E9X guy). I did a little research and saw power top motor is an issue and rear springs??

I realize this is a colossally risky situation. I've always liked these and the color combo, wheels, 3IM engine, etc has got me interested and the spectre of a cheap fun car is intriguing.

Thoughts? How stupid is this?