View Single Post
      01-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm going to agree with The Hack (yeah, I know, big surprise right). Sounds like the car is well dialed, why not keep it as is? I think it's better with a staggered setup. Here's why.

I've run in two Z4Ms same day same track. One with a 235/265 set up, -2.7 front -2.0 rear stock suspension and camber washers; the other 265 square and a corner balanced TCK coils and camber plates and -3F and -2R IIRC. Same tires on both cars, much better driver (as in competitive track experience) in the square configure car compared to semi-noob guy here (at the time). We both took turns in the other's passenger seats.

The square set up was much less balanced, very prone to "ultra quick rotation" (lots of quick correction inputs and fighting continuously required) and generally a handful to drive and an unhappy driver. We ended up disconnecting the rear sway to try and dial it a bit and keep the rear planted, but it still proved to be quite scorpion like even with that change.

The stock setup didn't require the same saves and fast hands and it was easy to exit corners quickly and put down power comparatively easily without drama. Add in the driving instruction I got that day and I was all smiles dancing the car around the track. The real kicker was that our times weren't too far different, a couple seconds, which was totally off kilter to the skill level variance. That should not have been but the square set-up as configured was a huge handicap that day for a really good driver.

Wish I'd let the other Zed owner drive mine--wasn't thinking--missed chance there for a direct comparison. But based on what I saw that day no way I'd run a square set-up at this point.

I bet with time and effort one could get the square set-up to work pretty well--but if it ain't broke, well, you know.
Appreciate 0