View Single Post
      01-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Tire size vs. camber vs. handling/balance dilemma

I have a Z4M Roadster. Stock suspension. Camber washers in front for -2.7*. Rear at -2.0*. Tires are BFG Rival 245/40 front, 275/35 rear.

Since I set up the car that way, it seems to be pretty balanced in terms of autocross handling and bit tail happy on track. Even though the fronts are narrower than the rears, I think the additional negative camber evens it out.

My tires are dead so I'm looking to replace them. I've been looking into square setups since I will be able to rotate them more easily. But since I am limited in terms of front clearance, that means I'd have to try out 255 or hopefully 265 square. To do that, I'd need to pull out my front 5mm spacers which are necessary because the camber washers plus the 245/40/18x9 ET42 pushes the top of the tire too close to the strut. So I'd pull the camber washers and get camber plates instead.

Wouldn't a square setup with more front camber make the car way more tail happy on track? Not really a big deal at autocross but my skill level for track makes me weary of having more oversteer.

Or should I do a square setup and also increase negative camber in the rear using something like this? http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FRApaQodYewCQg
Appreciate 0