AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
So 275 on all 4 corners?

IMO the car is easier to drive on a staggered set up. That's based off my experience being in two Zs the same day at the track one with 235/265 vs 265 on all corners the later with a really good driver (not me lol). Even with the rear sway bar disconnected, the square set-up car was much more likely to "over rotate" vs. mine. (My friend has a very fast hands as well and is an experienced racer.)

We concluded that without a lot of setting experimentation staggered was easier to drive faster from an oversteer perspective. That's not to say that a square set up can't be optimized and be faster but out of the box what you experienced, but the E46 being less of a handful, is kind of typical I think. I'm sure there's a way to optimize the square set-up and also adopt a driving style to get the most out out it (later being key as well).

Totally agree that a longer wheelbase car like an E46 or E36 M3 is easier to drive on a square set up and seems to benefit from being set up square based on running my E36 M3.

This is a great thread, and I think with the experimentation you're doing, we can learn a lot about optimizing the set up of this car in different configurations.
I am starting to agree with you....when I had 245 front and 275 rear, it was so much easier to drive....I will have to try more stuff to make a conclusion, but as of today, staggered is better.

I might try removing rear sway bar....never thought of that.
I would love to run 255/275 or 265/275, but due to cost benefit, I go for square set up.

This next saturday is the track I always go to....this is the day that I will have a lot of time to try different stuff.
Appreciate 0