View Single Post
      03-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
kahmedsid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i Manual

Excellent write up; helped me a lot changing the starter in my Z4.

Just wanted to share some more details for those who run into starting problems.

Car: 2004 Z4 3.0i manual sport

Car would show no sign of cranking but all ignition lights, radio seemed fine. To rule out battery, I tried jumping the car but same thing. Next I wasted $75 on the ignition switch as there are reports suggesting that could be worn out but that wasn't bad in my case. Next, took a hammer and tapped on the starter solenoid (yes I should have done that before I changed the ignition switch) and that tapping brought back some life to the starter but it sounded really sick!

I ordered the Bosch Starter SR0448N for around $140 from Amazon plus a External Torx Socket E12 to open the bolts that hold the starter to the bell housing.

My model had the sound generator pipe which was easily removed, it's held in place with a metal clip on the bottom side.

Also, another difference I noticed was that my starter solenoid only had one black cable attached to the bottom terminal. So, two red cables to the middle terminal and one black to the lower.

I would recommend using a ratchet with a flexible head otherwise it will be a lot of struggle to get a good grip on those two torx bolts.

Thanks for the author for this DIY post!
Appreciate 0