View Single Post
      03-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #64
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red Z4 M Roadster

Finished the dyno work today with the original 7 psi pulley after ECU adaptations were cleared and water/meth 50/50 mix. This has been a very educational experience for me regarding this ESS kit and it's true limitations. Long story short... if you want 475whp with VT2-500 you will need catless headers,8-9psi pulley, water/meth and oxygenated MS109 race fuel at a minimum and possibly a revision to the tune. My AFR's were running a tad lean above 7500rpm, so I might need a new fuel filter or pump.. not sure yet.

I made more whp on my 7psi pulley than i did on my 8-9ish psi pulley. What happens is the torque is so sweet on the higher boost up to about 6000rpm and then timing just gets yanked out by ecu and your hp nose dives and then the ecu starts adding timing back in slowly and you only get 400whp at max rpm. With MS109 race fuel this doesn't happen. Water/meth at 50/50 made no impact at relieving this problem....in fact it just ramped up the tq even more because of the cool air charge...tq was great below 6000, but then falls and slowly rises. If I had Ms109 and water/meth together I would probably see 450 easy on stock headers and maybe more...thats another day. The good news is that my baseline dyno after many runs and a warm engine looked good with 7 psi pulley and water/meth. We did back to back for a good comparison of water/meth no water/meth and we tried many different variations of nozzle size and progression rate. As "Tone" (this is his name) at Renn-spec in Los Angeles informed me...use the smallest nozzle and start spray at 2psi and stop at 6. He was right on the money with this advise. We went from 408whp 296TQ 7psi pulley no water/meth to 420+whp 311TQ on a low 40'sF morning. This spread will look more impressive in the summer as the heat gets worse the water/meth will excel. I still think I have a fuel delivery issue up top because of filter or pump, but I was happy with the results. I was using 93 octane, 7psi boost, 50/50 water meth smallest nozzle to achieve these results. If I find that I have a fuel issue I will post this info on this thread. My SS V2 step headers should be in soon and I will get a new dyno with these baseline no water/meth, with water meth, and with race fuel. This should be educational. I'm replacing my fuel filter in the next couple of days. I will have dyno sheets tomorrow when I get my car. In the mean time enjoy the pictures of intercooler piping and water/meth nozzle install. The nozzle has a bung that was beautifully welded into the pipe. I used the washer fluid tank for my water/meth and I have a power switch and controller in the glove box for operating my water/meth system. Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by fr8tdog; 03-30-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0