View Single Post
      01-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
eHelmholtz
TARDIS
Rep
Drives: Z4

My roadster is now 14 years old and since this thread was start a few more things have needed attention in the last few months' time.

1. My 12V battery was running low so I hooked it up to a trickle charger. However, after verifying that the battery was still good, I continued to have low battery warning. While driving down the highway, this battery warning came on again and after I exited the highway, there were all sorts of odd warning signs. Then the car just died in the middle of the street. It was towed the 1/2 mile home and I realized that the serpentine belt had come loose. The tensioner was shot with the alumium bolt holding it in place, broken. It took a bit of effort to remove it because of the broken bolt but replacing the tensioner ($48) and belt ($22) was straightforward.

2. There was a coolant leak at the coolant temperature sensor for which I bought a replacement at the local carquest for $35 but realized that all I needed was to replace the o-ring on the original for $5. Now, I have an extra unused sensor because carquest won't let me return it.

3. There was a very slow leak of oil in the car for about a year but I didn't get around to figuring it out until last month. It was the oil filter housing gasket and the oil cooler gasket that needed replacement which I was going to do but a friend suggested AT-205 resealer to rejuvenate gaskets and to my surprise it worked! so I haven't bothered to replace the gaskets.
Appreciate 1