Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'm not particularly surprised by this, PAL showed similar wear after 50 track days as well. (But I am very happy you posted this, it's great information!) I simply look at this as a maintenance cost associated with track use, not as something to get overly concerned about. This serves as a great heads up for those of us who use the car in this manner. I suspect that if we were to take a look at any engine with 5K track miles it's going to show wear in some areas. FI, even more so.

If we assume 100 miles/event, it comes out to the same (5K track miles). It's only two data points so far (that I'm aware of), but it looks like planning (and budgeting) to replace bearings at 3k - 4k track miles is a good plan. If FI, then maybe on the lower side of that. I'm personally going to go with the lower end since I'm the second owner, and I didn't get a chance to interogate (er, ask) the prior owner about how they drove the car.

If you're using the car at the track, it's wise to keep records of track miles, temps, and change intervals. Goes w/o saying that more frequent oil changes are a must. Even a street car would benefit by going no more than 4K miles based on the UATs I've seen posted here. Personally I'm changing out my oil every 3 track days since I typically run in hot conditions.

I tend not to wind the car out to redline consistently or "float" the engine at redline when at the track. I tend to shift about 7K. Yes, this costs me in terms of absolute HP, and maybe costs me a shift or two as well, but since there's no money in it for me, and it's for fun (and improvement), I don't see it being worth it. (There's more to gain anyway in getting faster in/out of corners, and with improved braking techniques, than by whipping the engine to a frenzy at all times IMO anyway.)

My shop also recommends an increased volume oil pump (VAC Motorsport) for the S54, as they think that at high-revs under track conditions the S54 could use some help. (They've done this for their S54 powered race car.) When I do the bearings, I'm doing the pump as well.
Good post, and I completely agree!

For those that run on the street only, my shop said swapping the rod bearings probably wasn't necessary, even at 100k miles for me. They have seen a lot of S54's come through, and it's really only those that are tracked that have issues.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0