View Single Post
      03-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldTyres View Post
Great write-up. I'm right behind you. Hopefully, I'll be slowly adding mods over the course of the next year, working my way from AS to BSP.

So, there's no rubbing in the front with just max "stock" camber? You pull the pins? What camber are you running, btw?

Oh, yeah, that first autox with traction off is Hella fun!

And one more thing, if all your runs were clean, then you weren't pushing it hard enough.
I ran my E36 M3 sedan in stock class starting in 2000. While lack of grip up front makes for a safe street car, it just wasn't much fun on an autocross course. So I just to have more fun, I went to BSP, and later to STU when it formed (after getting tennis elbow from tire changes), with pretty much only suspension and wheel upgrades. Sounds like you may be like me.

No rubbing with the modest setup I described above which I've been running for 2 weeks now. No pins pulled. Don't know what my camber is. My car is currently OE, dealer aligned having just been clean up from coming off lease when I bought it last fall. Again, the rubbing was per those two photos, all that I needed to correct it was 5mm spacers up front. Now, keep in mind the photos of the OE and 265/35-18 tire heights and the side shot of my car. If your car is lowered I imagine you may run into issues with the tops of the front rubbing on the fender lips. But if you've lowered your car, you've probably made other suspension modifications that allow you to have more negative camber to avoid this possible issue. Before my studs came in, I lightly rolled all my fenders.

Again YMMV depending upon what *tires* you're running. No way to really find out unless your setup is very close to what someone else has documented. Hopefully the write up and pictures help.

As a matter of course, at autocross I run with traction off, so I don't have a feel for how much the M Coupe intervenes. I've played with the Sport button a few times on the highway and don't have a good feel for that either, so I keep it pressed in at the autocross.
Appreciate 0