11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Thank you for sharing. I find these types of threads very inspiring. I started with small things, and keep adding more and more types of wrenching to my "toolkit". Up next for me, headers, Euro cats, and SSK install. Never would have thought to even give that a shot but folks here are a good influence. Seeing it done, seeing the steps, and seeing the initiative is wonderful stuff.
And that's really the only way to learn mechanical or autobody. "hands on".

The internet is such a fantastic tool to learn too. I've even been using it quite a bit doing this project. I havn't turned a wrench on a Bimmer in about 10 years and boy has technology and the ways cars are put together changed. I ain't never worked on something with this much plastic on it except my Dad's 74 Corvette LOL. I've used it a lot to figure out how to disassemble the steering wheel, pull the radio, get the trim off the interior and remove the door panels and take apart the mirrors just to name a few things. I'm sure it saved me a lot of time, broken plastic tabs and $$$ replacing parts I broke... And it was from the kindness of others sharing DIY articles and pics on forums.

I've found enough info on forums that I havn't had to buy a Bently manual yet.

Appreciate 0