No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I need to spend more time with it to give a final recommendation, but my kit was fairly pnp.

To simplify how the kit operates: it intercepts the signal sent from the ECU to the fuel injectors, and it increases the pulsewidth based on input from the flex fuel sensor.

You will get some benefits from running a pump gas tune, since timing can be increased to the maximum allowed by the ECU (the stock tune will go up to 98 RON, or 93-94 AKI pump fuel, and even then it's conservatively mapped). This is most noticeable for those in California that only have access to overpriced 91 AKI. To get the full benefit you need to advance timing beyond the stock mapping.

FI cars will see more benefits since the additional fuel injected cools the charge. Some kits require injector upgrades, and all kits push the limit of how much fuel the stock pump can flow.

As far as whether the stock injectors are able to keep up with the added demand, ethanol requires up to 40% more fuel flow. Log your current injector duty cycle or pulsewidth and multiply by 1.4 for worst case scenario.
Okay, that information makes things seem more clear; I wasn't tracking the the system received direct input from the ECU. Sounds like as long as the calculations it makes based on input vs ethanol content are solid, then no problems from that end.

I've used some injector calculators from DeatschWerks, Fuel Injector Clinic, and a couple of others; based on my current numbers, they all seem to project I should already be upgrading, and definitely should upgrade to 550s for this setup. I'm going to pull logs for the injectors, but if the stock flow rate of 260 is accurate, their math seems accurate.

Do you have any initial impressions you can share? I know numbers tell the tale more accurately, but anything helps.
Appreciate 0