View Single Post
      12-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
The question for me really comes down to, is it actually possible to improve ride quality AND performance?
Yes. When I first put on the V3s I noticed two things:

1. It's less harsh. The stock suspension has softer springs and bmw notoriously compensates by having stiffer shocks. By going with slightly stiffer springs (the kws are progressive, but at full compression they're 2x stiffer in the front) and softer shocks, the whole thing rides smoother and less jarring when you hit a bump.

2. The High speed damping is much better. There's a curve with some uneven pavement at the end of a fast stretch of road right before I get home. On stock suspension you can feel your tires leaving the pavement. With the V3s, you can feel the tires staying in contact with the ground the entire time.

Before I could feel myself hopping sideways ever so slightly, now it feels like I'm in control.

I am riding at max height in the front of the V3s with the rear to match though. It's only a modest 0.5" drop, but I still scrape on the occasional ramp unless I go at it diagonally and super slowly.

Quote:
Lastly, if coilovers did in fact improve handling and comfort at the same time, why would a $60k car not come with them stock? Is the Honda Ebay aftermarket really that far ahead of BMW? No...
AFAIK It's not about them being coilovers, it's because they have better components. The coilover aspect just lets you adjust height and a few other niceties.