11-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Harness Bar Pictures

Hey everyone!

I've gotten a few PM's asking for some pictures of my harness bar so I thought I would post a new thread showing it and talking a little more about it.

I had it made by a machine and welding shop. They used 1.5" steel tubing to make it (no fancy chromoly tubing) and 1/8" steel plated for the ends. 1/4" bar was bent into shape and used for the harness guides. It is fairly easy to remove and install and doesn't require any interior disassembly aside from the B pillar covers and the top trim piece in the center of the rear shelf.

To install I drilled out the two existing holes in the B pillar and inserted a 3/8" 'nutsert' in each hole. In the center I just reused the two existing bolts under the center trim piece. It is VERY solid.

I wanted the bar to look nice as this is a street/autocross car so I had the bar powder coated gloss back and added a couple stickers (gopro sticker and a 'BMW Motorsport' sticker from eBay). I also purchased a second trim piece off of the forum from an interior part out and cut a notch so I can have a trim piece installed along with the bar. It doesn't serve a real function besides looking good but it really cleans up the look. The bar looks fantastic and is very solid.

All in, it cost me just under $500 USD. (Bar, powdercoat, and stickers)

I currently don't have pictures of my seat setup or the B pillars with the bar installed but I will get some shortly.

Hopefully this post will help those looking to have a bar built. Let me know what you guys think!

(More installed pictures coming... probably tomorrow)

image by Alex Jacobson, on Flickr

Last edited by dfjaws; 11-17-2015 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2431.50