View Single Post
      11-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel91 View Post
-If I understand it right, the biggest difference between DSC and DTC is that DSC will activate if either wheel spins, whereas DTC will only activate if both wheels spin. The Z4M's don't have DTC because of their limited slip. I'm assuming DTC is equally useless for me. Is that indeed the case, or is there something else I'm missing?
First off, congratulations on your purchase... it's nice to purchase a vehicle when you know the full history on it and get to meet the previous owner face to face.

DSC is the a moniker that controls a 3 different stability systems. DTC + ASC+T + DBC = DSC.
DTC as you know is dynamic traction control. ASC+T is Automatic Stability Control + Traction. DBC = Dynamic Braking control.

The combination of these systems controls traction when accelerating from a stop, corner force braking (braking through a corner), individual wheel braking for traction and to control understeer or oversteer when cornering. It also modulates engine power output. ASC+T is for vehicle stability it controls all 4 wheels.

When any one or a combination of these systems are active the DSC light will blink on the dashboard in yellow. The exclamation with a circle/arrow around it.

When you press DSC for 1 second. DSC is disabled, then the DTC light remains lit on the dashboard instead. This means that ASC+T and DBC have been disabled but DTC is still active. This allows you to have limited slip/wheel spin to the rear wheels. For example if you're stuck on ice or in a snow drift, this will allow you to spin or rock the car back and forth to get out of the drift. It controls the rear wheels only in a similar fashion as a LSD. (allows limited slip then intervenes to try to ensure both wheels spin at the same rate.) Does this by using the brakes & modulating torque.

When you hold down the DSC button for 3 seconds then the DSC light comes on perminantly, DTC light is not on. This means both DSC and DTC are now disabled. Then you just have your LSD to save you.

I don't know of any way to disable DTC but keep ASC+T and DBC active.

What ratio is your M3 LSD diff? Do you know if it was just a bolt-on upgrade, hooks up to our rear subframe without any modifications?
Appreciate 0