12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmjarrett View Post
1000 wet 1500 wet then 2000 wet sand by hand. I'll get close to perfectly smooth and denib with the 1000, finish cutting with the 1500 and use the 2000 to knock down the 1500 scratches.

Cut with compound then glaze. 3m no longer makes the stuff I used to use so I'm going to try Evercoat triple system on this car.

A lot of painters are using 1000 on a DA now to knock down orange peel and nibs...... Power tools are tempting but I have enough problems experimenting with new processes and products right now LOL.
I did paint correction professionally for 25+ years in case you question this method.
I cut a length of 6" and 10" Lowes large thick paint stir sticks(the truest/straightest one you can obtain) and prep it with a some light sanding to slightly round its edges and ends.

I use it when doing fresh re-spray initial knock down with whatever grit you deem to fit the texture. In your current case you mentioned 1000#. Just cut your paper to size and wrap the stick no differently than you would a soft hand pad. It will actually make the paint look slicker than just a soft pad at all final grits alone.I call this flat-sticking. It separates the man from the boys when the job is finished ,believe me.
Appreciate 0