View Single Post
      11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

2006 Z4 makeover

A few months back I bought my Z4. It looks pretty good and is in excellent mechanical condition but was slightly cosmeticly challeneged which is one reason I was able to buy it for less than KBB and NADA trade in value at a major new car dealer... they either raped the PO on trade in or bought it dirt cheap at auction to have made a profit off it when I bought it for $8k less than a few other comparable cars I was looking at in year and milage.

I'm 48 and retired at the ripe old age of 40, but not by choice. I was medically retired from the Army and am a 100% disbled vet. I am on fixed income and buget is limited so the price is right for me.

Those of you that insist that these cars absolutly must have $10k worth of brakes, wheel and tires and anything less than the most expensive parts available might as well not read further than this post right here because those parts are not in my budget and you won't be happy with anything I do. I don't race anymore, the car will never be tracked, haven't hit triple digits in anything in prolly 20 years, I'll never buy another Michelin or Goodyear tire after repeated bad luck with them and simply have no use for high $$$ race parts on a low $$$ daily driver. I don't need to be the fastest but I do like my rides to look good.

A couple commodities I do have is an abundence of is time, tools and the skills to work on my toys. Been wrenching on and painting cars since I was 14. I also have a 30x50x12 shop with a 9k lift and enough tools accumulated over more than 30 years to fix almost anything.

The "challenged" part of the car was the badly pitted and scratched clear coat and cracking of the wood trim. Clear is too bad too buff out and a PO had some really poor paint work done on the RF fender. Car also had a mix of runflat and non runflat tires and rode worse than my Dodge dually and tramlined really bad...scary bad.

I'm already deep into the mods and making this car look the way I want her too but I'll catch everyone up to what I am doing. Here's what she started as. I really didn't want another black car but the price was right.

Appreciate 0