View Single Post
      05-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Ok, this could be "the wrap up" post. I've just about got my MS-8 based system tuned up.

To kill the subsonic issues I was having with the JL subs I installed a 30hz Harrison Labs inline filter and that worked very well. I then set about tuning with the subs disconnected first, and then connected the subs and disconnected the midbass. With only the subs playing, I was still underwhelmed with their sound (still popping and very little output). I was about to close off the vents in the enclosures but was still concerned mostly about the lack of output. I had the low pass x-over on my amp (Arc Audio 805) set to approx 70 hz and started to adjust the bass boost frequency and level settings on the amp. That had very little effect. As a last ditch effort I decided to see what raising the low pass x-over would do. That was it! What ever the reason (my lack of knowledge, amp issue...) once I raised the low pass the subs started playing real nicely. From there I dialed it in and then worked on the JBL-MS8 equalizer bands.

In the end I came to the conclusion that of the three sound sources I use in my system (head-end radio tuner, iPod, iPhone-Spotify) the tuner and iPhone-Spotify have boosted bottom ends compared with the iPod. I saved three equalizer setting favorites on the MS-8 to switch between for the different sources. I'm real pleased with how it sounds. Very cool to really hear and feel ALL of the music now, even (especially) when running top down.

I'm still on the fence about not closing off the sub vents. For R&B and similar music they play pretty low and sound very nice! but for Rock, Jazz and Funk/Soul they're a little muddy. I'll probably close them off one Saturday when looking for a project and see how they sound.

Damn, what am I going to work on now?
Appreciate 0