Thread: Vanos Repair
View Single Post
      03-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

My son and I did my Vanos a month or so ago. I read the various tips/techniques after the first time we tried to do the job and ran into the clearance issue with the front bulkhead. This time we removed the 2 bolts on either side/ top of the front cross brace plus backed off the bolt on the inside/engine side of the cross brace that is under those two bolts about 1/4 inch. When we removed the Vanos I just used a long pry bar to flex the cross brace slightly forward and the Vanos slid nicely off.

Total time to prep the cross brace for the Vanos removal...less that 3 minutes and 3 minutes to replace/ tighten down all 6 bolts after replacing the Vanos.

Since we were there, we also did the water pump as well. We raised the driver side motor mount 3 cm (remove top bolt on the motor mount)...as per the TIS.

Placed a low style hydraulic trolley lift with a block of wood across the oil pan and gently raised the engine until the motor mount bracket is just about to clear the bolt.....This rotates the engine up and slightly sideways allowing the water pump shaft to clear the cross frame bracket. Again a less than a 10 minute bolt/raise/lower/torque evolution.