View Single Post
      03-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #403
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I can't speak for the EGT code, but a decatted car will always throw a code unless the secondary O2 sensors are turned off. If they are turned off, the car will return "not ready" when plugged up for an OBDII inspection. Any tune that allows you to pass inspection without cats is illegal. The only way to pass the OBDII portion of inspection without cats is to use an O2 simulator. I'm working on one as I write this, utilizing a microcontroller and adjustable PWM signal. If it was as simple as getting a tune, many others would have done it already.

A legal tune that doesn't throw a check engine light or return "not ready" does not exist.

Note - this is for the U.S. only. I don't claim to know the laws of other countries.
Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Z4M's are passing readiness in the US with a decat. The 02 sensors just need to be in place and working. No CEL light appears.

What does tend to happen however, and this is very common on the E46 side, is that when people do change their exhausts the 02 sensors are damaged.

That's when the problems arise. The CEL light will appear and the only way then to switch off the codes it to turn off the sensors. Then readiness becomes an issue.

We have a protocol where we ask customers to change their exhaust setups before any software changes. Never do both at the same time because you will not be able to establish if there is a problem with the 02 sensor itself or if it's tune related. We know it;s not tune related but convincing someone otherwise can be a little difficult and often customers tend to think it's an excuse on our part.

Some Z4M's have thrown way too many codes. Some simply outright blame the tune and refuse to accept there is a problem with the tune.

Therefore, we will educate you all a little more on the subject shortly.

Be aware of one thing though please - 02 sensors, especially pre cat's failing will create issues with power. EGT sensors which are damaged will do the same. Again, why this is will be covered.

In the mean time, if any one is still having problems with their tunes or think they are losing power please just email us. You will get a response, some questions will be asked and we will help you resolve the issue.

The Z4M is a very small community and it is not at all a problem to do regular software updates for you guys. Tuning always improves where we are continuously developing and we prefer for everyone to have the latest updates.
That's the beauty of having your evolve-R cables.

One point related to the tuning - we do NOT alter the throttle mapping on the Z4M at all. However, we might just start doing that to show you what it's effects are.
Appreciate 0