View Single Post
      04-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #40
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Yeah, it was a slalom fest for sure. Dat won the S1 I'm in. 40.944 in his '07 MX-5, which was just behind the fastest RAW time of the day 40.887. My best was a 48.625 ( with DSC off ) as mentioned. This last week I got a bit of a hang of how it moved around corners with it off. It was really my first time experimenting with it. My start was a minor burnout, which caught me off guard. I'm NEVER going to be able to COMPETE out there. Not against Miatas and S2000's. I feel like my driving skills have improved and if I was in a " OH SHIT " situation on the road, my evasive maneuvering will be more predictable. Great group of guys out there. Probably do another one in a couple few months. I really think springs with a higher rate would increase the handling, of course there are all the other options as mentioned, I'm just enjoying reading all the posts on suspension and trying to learn from what others have gone through. My car SEEMS to suck at the "snow man/figure 8 circles, the inside feels like it's waaaayyyy up there. I need to do more of these in a sensible parking lot, it's really more me than the car honestly.
Mostly this.

From a car potential standpoint your Z4MR stock is competitive with S2000s. If you look at the 3/26 FAST results you'll see I was within a couple tenths of Randy Barrera on tires that were still somewhat green. The MX-5 is a bit of an over-dog in B Street, and Dat is an alien level driver in that car.

Next time out, ask Loren or one of the other instructors to drive your car on the course. It's a bit tough to give control of your baby to someone else, but they'll drive about 9/10s and run times 3, 4, even 5 seconds faster than what you've been posting. There's a lot of driver tuning available before you'll be able to take advantage of modifying the car. If you can get to an Evolution Driving School, or SCCA Starting Line school, or if Suncoast PCA offers a school, it will take far more time off your runs than throwing parts at a car that's already pretty good.