05-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
tifosi360
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F31/ '14 Porsche Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
Just to clarify... I had a 2007 Cayman 2.7 with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Sport Chrono. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Cayman. The PASM made the car compliant on the street and sure-footed on the track. My complaints are ones that I think many Cayman owners have talked about. Oil smoke and squishy brake pedal. I experienced both of these.

After several run sessions oil would collect in the oil vapor separator and then get fed into the engine causing clouds, I mean CLOUDS of smoke to pour out the exhaust. Afterward it would take up to a week to clear out. The fix (a GT3 vapor separator) was stupid expensive.

The other issue of the squishy brake pedal (I am not talking about fade or boiling the fluid) is also well known on all Caymans. This car was the first Porsche I have owned that felt like the pedal was on its way to the floor. Not cofidence inspiring on the street or the track. Two different dealers checked the brake system and both times I was told that this is how the brakes feel now. Porsche decided to make the brakes more like what average drivers are used to! Are you freakin' kidding me? Go buy a Buick if you think the brakes are too hard. Again the fix (GT3 brake booster and braided stainless lines) was expensive.

In my opinion Porsche has been putting less effort into making their cars track worthy ever since they introduced the 986/996 (not including the GT3). The engines are known for their lack of robustness. No limited slip option (until last year when their sales tanked). God knows what will happen now that VW owns Porsche. That is why I sold the Cayman and bought an M.
Funny, I got both a Cayman and Z4 M Coupe, and I have opposite feelings. Wait until you take the M on the track and see how upsetting is that BMW cannot provide proper brake set up. I would pay extra to have upgraded brakes with proper calipers, etc.

My Cayman has the rock hard brake feel and no fade ever. The M brakes are very digital, with absolutely no room for modulation. The throttle on the M is the same as the brakes, either on or off. I drive in Sport Mode all the time. I also rev-match and heel-and-toe about 99% while driving. I took the CDV out and it took me forever to get comfy with fancy foot work on the pedals.

Also, the new DFI and the 2.9 L Cayman engines are absolutely bullet proof as far as what I have read and seen. I think Porsche is not abandoning all the track dogs out there. Although, you are better off with aftermarket LSD for the Porsche's. They seem to wear out rather fast.

I think you probably got shafted with a buggy Cayman and with expected dealer incompetence in mending anything. I mean, my BMW dealer has overfilled my oil in the M 4 times, despite begging them to pay attention. Enough said on that.

I am actually frustrated with BMW that they abandoned the Z4 M coupe. With a couple years of tweaking, the M could have been more epic car than it is. I believe the character of the M comes from cutting some corners and lack of further development and finesse. Nonetheless, there are no other cars for me out there currently, either the M Coupe or the Cayman.

Ultimately, I compare both cars as the M being a crazy-ass supermodel that you are so attracted that you can hardly stand it. She drives you nuts, but you love it. The Cayman is the car you marry because it is does everything well without any drama. You just have to see what you like the best. I could not make the choice.
Appreciate 0