View Single Post
      04-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #49
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
I might buy that (in hope--which is far from fact) had I just not spent the last 5 years in Germany. Over there, when techs need answers to questions or concerns they don't shoot from the hip, they call Munich and get the right answers direct from the source. My car is at 7,000 miles and it was broken in following the BMW guidelines to the letter. It would grind now if I don't use the method conveyed to me. But I guess at 10,000 miles it will magically correct itself? Doubt it. Ultimately I don't abuse it and the few times I experienced the grind I wasn't revving it into oblivion.
Mine now has about 19K and it is better than it was at 10K. What they told you in Germany is exactly correct and I hope everybody is doing this when they shift. If you were going to tell someone else where 2nd is, wouldn't you say "back and toward the driver?" If you think this while driving you will be doing it correctly. Mine would probably go to 4th if I didn't keep the pressure to the left on it.

I think you may have the definitive answer and this is probably why some people don't have a problem and others do.
Appreciate 0