08-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
That's really odd, does the AUX disappear from the radio, or does your phone just stop playing?

With my car if I try to charge and listen to my iPhone at the same time it causes a ground loop issue and the radio wont see the AUX input for a moment.
I have the same problem, I've always wondered if it was just my car that did it.

Have you noticed that if you switch back to aux, it will play again, then disappear, then play again, then disappear, increasingly fast? I believe the aux in cable has both a resistor and a capacitor to trigger the head unit to recognize it; my theory is that we are somehow inducing an additional current in the aux cable by charging the phone at the same time, thus charging up the capacitor, which changes the signature the cable gives to the head unit. The increasing frequency with which the head unit drops the connection would seem to support the "capacitor gradually charging up" part.

You can tell I spend too much time thinking about this. It irritates the hell out of me that I have to watch my phone die as I use it for pandora streaming, rather than plug it in at the same time.
Appreciate 0