06-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
I just installed the system as well, as the sound is amazing.

Unfortunately, it looks like I've gotten a drop in MPG (I've had this system installed for about 300 miles now). On the freeway, I'm still getting around 28MPG, which is what I used to get. In the city, though, I'm getting significantly less than before, with the same driving style. During cold idle when I let the car sit for about 30 seconds, with the MPG counter having gone through half a tank of gas, I'm seeing the computer say my MPGs are dropping from 27.3 to 26.4. That's almost 1/4 a gallon just for sitting there for 30 seconds. If I'm getting 30MPG on the freeway cruising at 60MPH, I could have driven for for about 7 miles (7 minutes) using that 1/4 gallon of gas. The car also smells like it's running incredibly rich when cold. Very disconcerting stuff.

I don't think the intake alone could account for this. Any other possible causes? Leaks, malfunctioning MAF or O2 sensors, etc?
It is possible that oil from the filter has dusted the Platinum wire on your sensor and its having its effects.

Since you've covered 300+ miles.....now would be a good time to remove the wire sensor and spray the wire with contact cleaner or even aerosol brake cleaner to clean it of oil from the newly installed filter.
Appreciate 0