View Single Post
      04-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
03Z
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Sport 6 MT

Driveshaft woes... redux

Took the driveshaft out of my car today for the second time in three months after replacing the guibo and CSB. It had gotten to the point that any acceleration faster than a granny with a walker would cause a terribly disconcerting THUNKATHUNKATHUNKA to emanate from right below my ass, followed closely by whatever sound a puckering asshole makes as I expected bits of metal to come tearing through the floor. having had this problem before i knew immediately that it was the driveshaft.

it's only been three months since i spent a day replacing anything and everything I could under the car including the driveshaft components so I figured "awww crap, there goes my wallet, it's the shaft itself" but after getting it out, the u-joints are in good shape actually. I can't feel any binding, there doesn't seem to be any play, theres some dried grease on them but nothing out of the ordinary... so I'm at a loss. I'd really like to not buy a new driveshaft but theres no way in hell I'm taking everything apart to get this out again. there wasn't any vibration after I installed the new parts, no weird noises. nothing amiss and then I woke up one morning, went to drive to work, and it was like it had completely failed overnight.

anyone got any insight or tips for figuring out if the u- joints are maybe binding under load or something? I'm already planning to have it balanced by a shop but i mean, if the ujoints are doing something weird under load even though I can't find any problems right now there's no point in doing that.
Appreciate 0