Thread: HPDE musings
View Single Post
      08-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #27
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

These is just what I learned for myself over time, which eventually led me to my current ride; I plan to start racing it next year in NASA GTS2. I am currently doing time trials. I am not saying what made sense in my case will apply to all; just a point of view.

One thing about coilovers though. You can get an adjustable setup that woud be fine on the street and improve track performance as long as you don't go with high spring rates. But even if you did that, I bet that in time you'll want to up the spring rates knowing that will give you more track performance, and you'll then get frustrated at the ride quality on the street.

A key issue for me was safety. I was really not that comfortable cornering at speed in an uncaged car without a harness and neck restraint system lap after lap. Even if you trust yourself, there is much else that can go wrong that is beyond your control. The speedo hit 150mph at the Glen in my old E92 M3, and that pretty much did it for me, so I stopped tracking that car.