01-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #26
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
70mph is just what our dyno fan is rated at. Our fan flows 70mph at 8ft from the front of the car. We do all our hp tests with the hood closed. The factory air ducting is very efficient but relies on vacuum to provide air to the engine. There is a small cup with 1/4 to 1/2 of a velocity stack. The scoop pictured above is the first prototype (laidback has been asking us for some time to make him one.). As with our scoops for the m5 and m6, the final design will be done on the car on the dyno. Its hard to tell from the picture but the scoop flares outward to provide a larger surface area to collect air. It them flares inward to help with air velocity going into the factory air duct. We conduct our tests in an "open house" manner so all are welcome to come watch our product testing. If the stuff works, you all can see. If it doesnt work, you all can see too. Its our priority to provide a good, funcitonal yet cost effective product to our customers.

I'd love to come watch and even take part in the testing if you'd let me...

But SOCAL is kinda far from NE. Anyway, have you optomised the shape of the scoop to perform best at 70 mph, or your fan conditions, and what's the change in efficiency as speed varies from the fan speed?

I guess I would like to know if you've engineered it from a compressible/incompressible fluid dynamics perspective or if you're just stuck a scoop behind the grill...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0