05-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Not as stupid as you interpreted it. Do you think your iPhone is made in an Apple factory in China, by Apple employees? Much of it is, in fact, built alongside Samsung and HTC phones at a factory.

Bullshit aside, I think these wheels look great and welcome the new look from Apex. Can't wait to see them on one of our cars!
If your question is whether I think that my Samsung phone looks similar to an iPhone in that they are both rectangles with an almost full surface touch screen, because they are both built by Foxconn, then my answer is no.

The equipment/process used to make a wheel is the same whether it's a mesh style, 5 spoke, etc. (assuming it's cast vs. cast, 1 piece vs. 1 piece, etc.). So really your point about them looking the same because they are probably made by the same factory is not exactly true. Touchscreen phones and mesh wheels are widespread and similar looking because it's a popular style for consumers, not because some of them are made at the same factory.

That being said, I just don't like the style of the PS-7. Narrow/tapered spokes that are very curvy = VMR 710, to my eyes.

I get that all mesh wheels will categorically have a similar appearance. But at least the ARC-8 is significantly different from the V703.

Here's BBS' RG-R (8 spoke-pair, like ARC-8 and V703) - apart from BBS being seen as the "original" you can see that all 3 of the 8 spoke-pair designs are different.

Previously, their 7 spoke-pair wheel (EC-7) was significantly different from VMR's 7 spoke-pair design, and still visually somewhat different from other reps like ASA GT5 and Bremmer Kraft BR-05.

If APEX can make their ARC-8 and EC-7 have the same number of spokes and similar design as the V703 and RG-R while still being visually obviously different, I feel like they should have carried that trend over to the new PS-7 which seems way too similar to the V710 IMO. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0